View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2011, 15:14   #27
TurboZutek
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
@Chris, I'll have a look at Red's cowling for you. I think mine in Th is ok, so this one is reserved for you if it's ok.
Nice one matey, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KruJoe View Post
About the "furry box", is that the culprit in the slack glove box hinge syndrome? If so, I'll need to be keeping that part for myself.
Normally the slack hinge problem is the mount point that the hinge screws into on the dash itself.

Basically two self tapping screws bite into the dash vinyl at the bottom of the hinge and this breaks and wears away with time. I fixed mine by super-gluing the plastic back together and then running a load of NO MORE NAILS between the parts. I waited until the NMN was tack dry and then screwed the hinge back in so the screw threads bit into the NMN... Gave it 24hrs to dry and it's held together perfectly for over a year now!

Your only other option there is to replace the entire dash as the hinge mounts are moulded into the dash itself - and even if you did this they would only break again as this part hasn't been designed to take the strain properly IMHO.

The part I need is actually the 'box' itself:

On mine the plastic around the screws has gone brittle and fallen off, meaning this box just sits inside the aperture and rattles like mad.

And with the box removed:

This photo also handily shows the two screws on the hinge that I was talking about earlier. basically unbolt these, remove the glovebox door and take a look underneath - you'll see it's split apart and repair is as above.

Hope that helps!

Chris...
TurboZutek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurboZutek For This Useful Post: