View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2011, 19:25   #13
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daim View Post
That is what a lot of people think... I pulled an Audi A6 Quattro up a hill last year... My car has FWD and it was only snowing a little bit. The hill wasn't really even noticeable as a hill... I'd more so call it a slight incline

AWD still requires the matching tyres... Otherwise an SUV would be as good offroad, as a Defender with it's rugged tyres... AWD doesn't equal traction... As traction is given via tyres
1/4 of a mile on a flat residential road ... I had no problems in my V70 which was FWD and Automatic last year - I only used "W" once. Its not worth the expense for me. If its bad enough that I can't physically drive the 1/4 mile to a "main" road, I wouldn't try it anyway. (And I likely be one of about 3 people that actually pulled their fingers out and made the effort to walk!)

My comment of "if it snows" was purely regarding fresh snow, nothing with ice under it, nor heavily compacted snow. I've done enough offroading to know what it feels like to step out of the Disco via the sunroof to crawl down the bonnet to set up a tow while the car is balancing on its diff guards. Good times
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote