View Single Post
Old Sep 21st, 2011, 23:10   #15
Moosejaw
Premier Member

Hmm, do I prefer a nice electronic ETM that needs half the front of the car to come off to change, and needs coded back into the car when (not if) it fails, costing close on £500, or would I prefer a £20 throttle cable held on by a couple of clips?

Or maybe I'd prefer an ECU computer-controlled engine management system which flashes warning lights on the dash and costs hundreds every time it finds a 'fault' over a carburettor I can adjust with a screwdriver?

To me, modern cars have gone too far up the 'sealed unit/plug it into a computer' route. Fair enough let's have fuel injection and airbags and so on but the complexity of modern cars combined with the expense of repairing them properly means that the life expectancy of a 2011 car is probably a lot less than it was for a 1981 car.

Look at the number of perfectly decent looking 52, 53 plate cars sitting in scrappies without a mark on them. Less than 10 years old yet because they're unfixable outside the expensive main dealer service bay, they're simply scrapped.
Moosejaw is offline   Reply With Quote