Thread: Cruise Control
View Single Post
Old Sep 14th, 2002, 20:42   #3
SteveLong

Hi James

I got a chap in the states to get me all the bits from an US scrapyard and then fitted the system to my 740 Turbo - works very well indeed. The only thing which doesn't fit is the US wiring (which is usually already built in to the harness - ours is an additional cable. If you get an American to get you the bits, make sure he gets all the connectors (including the connectors to the foot-pedal switches) and make up you own harness - it's not too difficult provided you follow the wiring diagrams. You will also need the small steel switch mounting plate which is rivetted onto the aluminium pedal box (the holes are already drilled in our pedal boxes) and you need to rivet (or bolt) it onto your pedal box (no need tyo take pedal box out of car!) - you will need more vacuum pipe than the US system has (I bought about 12 foot of new pipe for about £10 in UK). The only marginally tricky part is setting up the pedal switch(s) (2 if your car is manual) - but even that is merely a case of screwing the switch in or out to get it to make contact and seal the vacuum at the correct place. My enitre system cost $75 for the bits and about $40 for insured postage (round about £75) and took me about 2 hours to make the cable harness and 3 hours to fit - e-mail me at steve_long@ntlworld.com if you want more info, want a helpful American contact or want to discuss parts etc.
Steve