View Single Post
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:36   #45
jmills01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post
Well, I would say there is a problem, our 205PS D5 SE Lux returns 38mpg ( 9 months old & 4k miles) on a dialy stop start 50% urban, 50% open B road journey and its getting beter daily.

Maybe its the Polestar upgrade?
That's the sort of figure I would have expected. Managed to get it up to 33mpg on a long motorway journey the other day, but is now falling back again. My previous experience with other vehicles has always been that I get just less than the published combined MPG figure in my normal driving, so your 38mpg would be about right.

I don't think it should be the Polestar upgrade - Volvo claim the same mpg/CO2 emissions. If anything the ECU upgrade is meant to improve the economy figures (provided one doesn't always use the extra BHP to drive extra fast!). And whilst I would have been sceptical about that a few years back, I've since had two cars with an ECU remap, one of which was the old 163bhp version of the D5 which chipped to 197bhp. In both cases, the mpg improved noticeably after the ECU remap.

I think I'm going to ask the dealer to check it again. I think there may be some friction somewhere - e.g. a transmission fault. It's also *hellishly* slow on the uptake from rest. E.g. floor the throttle (fully, partially, it makes little difference) and then count to 3 before the vehicle starts to move properly. Makes pulling out into gaps in traffic a bit of a nerve-wracking experience!

Thanks
jmills01 is offline   Reply With Quote