Thread: Cycle Carrier
View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 16:34   #10
DCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher
I must admit to hating these rear screen mounted cycle carriers, they strap on to areas of the car which are never designed to be load bearing.

I would only consider either tow bar mounted or roof mounted. If they are on the towbar then any rear end shunt, however minor, writes off the bikes. If they are on the roof, you have to be careful going in to car parks with a hoop over the entrance - and don't forget that they are there!

I have chosen the roof option for both my previous V70 and current V50. I used Volvo bars and Thule carriers on my V70 and now use Thule bars and carriers on my V50. Very happy with the set up and it is very stable.
To anyone considering a roof mounted cycle rack, before taking the plunge, I suggest you do a practice run lifting the cycle(s) up as high and as far over as would be required to put them on a rack. In case of a mishap, if you want to do this over the actual vehicle, then make sure it is well protected, otherwise it will probably end up with a big dent / scratch.

It is easy to load on top of a V50 or V70, but an XC90 is another matter, unless you are pretty strong or about 6'8" tall! I'am about 6' and I know that there is no way I could safely put a cycle onto a roof rack when standing next to the vehicle.
DCO is offline   Reply With Quote