View Single Post
Old Jun 12th, 2011, 23:40   #6
Laney760
VOC Member

I sometimes run my (low mileage, fairly quiet) D24Tic on svo, pure rapeseed oil, great for cleaning engines, engines that have been run on this are amazingly clean when stripped down. My D24Tic can sound a little clattery when started up on rapeseed, I give it more than one go with the glow-plugs for this reason, to thin it down a bit. It's also a bit down on power but that is normal from all I have read. I also used to run my old very low compression D24Tic on straight rapeseed sometimes, again a bit noisier on start up and a bit down on power. I also notice I get slightly less mpg

Can't say I've ever had my idle speed drop though

The reason svo kills the pump eventually is that it dissolves the gaskets, if you're going to run on it a lot you must replace them with ones made of Viton, ditto the fuel lines

I can't remember what it is but I did read up lately from quite a lot of different sources that they're now putting something in biodiesel which is not very engine-friendly and which has convinced me to avoid it like the plague! So it might be better if you make your own bio, at least you know what's in it! A garage manager did tell me recently that they are now putting a small percentage on rapeseed in normal diesel, dont know if this is true or not

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote