View Single Post
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 14:31   #29
Northgator8

Default Cautionary Tale

Wife's '06 exhibited this problem this past winter. (Canada - salt, snow, cold, therefore problem crops up earlier than elsewhere?)

Finally tackled it on Good Friday, since some sun finally showed up.

I didn't try the motor removal, since I was pretty sure it was shaft corrosion that was the culprit.
The only trick to removing the gear cover is to remove the electrical connector box from the case before sliding the cover off. Otherwise, there is not enough room to get the spray tube out without bending it.
Cleaned, greased (white lithium spray), bench-tested and back in within half an hour!
Upon reassembly and “field testing”, the arm was flopping around, back with my wrench for some additional tightening. Nut was “just about” where it needed to be when the threads snapped off the shaft and the rear glass exploded!
Wife not too pleased. . . . .
This “saving money on repairs thing” doesn’t seem to be working for her.
New glass is $430 Canadian (about 275 GBP today), but I have to wait 4 days for it to come from Montreal.
Dropped by my local “Independent Volvo Service” and discussed my issue and asked if anyone had had one replaced, since I only needed the internals. Turns out someone is coming in on Friday for a new one, and I can have the old for my experiments if they don’t want the old parts.
Northgator8 is offline   Reply With Quote