View Single Post
Old Apr 24th, 2011, 23:24   #15
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I ended up buying that one and had a good look underneath and around the car today and am very happy with the general condition. In general it is solid and only a few areas need attention, so am very happy. But what an effort to drive the car back up to Aberdeen and I will be putting a rebuilt B20E engine in as soon as I can. The car used over 10l of oil and leaked water so the system couldn't build pressure so it just ran hot in no time. The carbs weren't set up and was only running on 3 cylinders so we got it running okay before we left but as as soon as it got hot it ran terrible. After 80 miles the oil light came on and I had to fill it with oil and top up the water after about every 1 1/2hrs driving. At first we could get up to 70 not too bad but sitting on about 65 but by the time we got to Aberdeen we could only do about 55 flat out and 40 up any slight slope. Snapped the exhaust at Sterling and the RAC man did a patch job but the last 120 miles had a deafening roar through the cabin. But I did get to kip in the back one night in Carlisle on the way up and even though the engine ran like a dog the car put a huge smile on my face and is a cool old car and will be great with a new rebuilt engine. So now begins the getting things sorted as this will be my daily drive when going properly. Have a couple of shops to call tomorrow about the engine and will go see a bodyshop about a respray to see how many pennies I need to save. We may build the engine and just get the machining done but I did promise my wife it wouldn't be another project and any major work I would pay someone to do. Hopefully my shares will come good very soon and that will pay for things.
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote