View Single Post
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 20:55   #47
scoffbelly
Scoffbelly

Default etm failure circumstances

As an ETM failure victim, I have read with interest, the postings on the differing attitudes to the ETM failure. My conclusions are that on balance, it should be considered a safety defect that justifies a recall. Hypothetically, If Volvo included an ETM replacement every 80k in the service schedule like Cam belt & tensioners then I would understand. The fact is, the device is expected to be safe and maintenance free for the life of the vehicle. A sudden and unexpected throttle failure is surely of the same magnitude as sudden brake failure or steering failure, ie. It is a cause of major and unexpected loss of control of the vehicle.

My ETM failure happened suddenly and without warning or previous symptoms when I was driving in busy traffic on the M3 doing 60mph. My ETM and ETS lights both came on and it was as if my engine had cut out. I put on my hazards and made a desperate attempt to cross two lanes to the hard shoulder, I caused the vehicles behind me to brake hard and sound their horns including an articulated lorry that locked its brakes and began to jackknife. I was lucky to make it to the hard shoulder in one piece.

I wrote to Volvo uk about the problem and I share with you their reply:-

Thank you for your letter dated 1st January 2006. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction due to the failure of the electronic throttle module of your car and I understand your wish to bring the situation regarding this matter in the USA to our attention. With regard to your comments regarding the specific situation in the USA, where this component is subject to an extended warranty action, please allow me to explain that different markets offer different warranties and this is the same with all manufacturers. I would clarify that, should a potential problem with a component or system be identified for cars within a given model and chassis range, technicians at the factory will assess all relevant information and advise us accordingly of the actions to be taken, if necessary. Volvo Car Corporation, as the manufacturer, determines if such an issue is to be a product safety recall, service campaign or a policy action bulletin in accordance with the guidelines issued by the vehicle inspectorate code of practice. Volvo car corporation had been in discussion with the authorities in California prior to this action being taken, although we have not been advised in instigate any product action in respect of this matter in the UK. Whilst I appreciate your concerns, I regret I am unable to meet the request for reimbursement outlined in your letter

yours sincerely.....

so that's that, maybe a letter to Volvo Sweden suggesting that there is sufficient grounds for a product safety recall would be more worthwhile ?

With regard to Oilburners comment "the redesign would be enough to wipe out Volvo's profit for some time", surely Volvo have grounds to seek compensation from Magnetti Marelli for providing a defect part (unless of course it was Volvo designed ??).

Last edited by scoffbelly; Jan 26th, 2006 at 21:20.
scoffbelly is offline   Reply With Quote