View Single Post
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 20:54   #32
boggymarsh
XC70 2008 D5 SE

Well what a pain in the rear this little jobs is!

I am no mechanic but having been inspired by the write up on here I thought I would give it a go. I have found that I couldn't undo the the allen screw thingies underneath the dust caps so ended up skipping that bit and undoing the 13mm bolts that hold the caliper on. The top one was just about accessible and took a bit of effort with a rubber mallet but the bottom one required using a 12in extension bar and gaining access behind the coil spring - my socket wrench just wouldn't fit in the small gap available otherwise. Once undone the caliper had to be tapped off the disc but that was easy enough.

The drum/disc itself took a while to free but once taken off it was plain to see why it was stuck - the botton shoe had fully delaminated and the friction pad (?) fell on the floor leaving a rather rusty base.

The centre springs are a real pig and I have infact broken one in my frustration to get the shoes out. Whoever designed this Heath Robinson affair ought to be sacked and why when you buy a new set of shoes do they not provide a new set of springs? I can go no further until I have a new centre spring so another trip to the main dealer tomorrow morning - if they stock these things that is?

Somebody said it took them about an hour to replace the brake shoes... well I wish you could come and do mine! I have pictures of the knackered shoes and will post those once I have uploaded them to the laptop.
boggymarsh is offline   Reply With Quote