Thread: Wheels/Tyres: 164: - tyre size
View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 23:39   #10
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie1948 View Post
Thanks to Michael J for that explanation - much appreciated.
Unfortunately both the two major sites I looked on do not have a single tyre to offer size 185/75-15 .

Thanks also to classicswede.
I am sure that 205/60 15 will handle better and I can see there is lots of choice readily available at reasonable prices. Do you put them on the original equipment rims like mine without problem or do you use uprated ones? If they fit ok it would be an easy answer for me but John h says he thinks these may be a bit too wide for standard rims. Do you know of any pitfalls?

Jonathan

In my experience, a 205/60 gives poor steering response on a 5.5 inch rim. The rim is much narrower than the tyre, meaning the sidewalls are at the wrong angle and there is too much flex between the wheel and the tyre contact patch - the rim can't properly control what the tyre is doing. (Imagine wearing shoes several sizes too big for your feet!)

It's a matter of taste I suppose. Classicswede finds it fine, but for me it did not work at all. Grip was OK, but I really did not like the handling feel of my 164 on 5.5 inch rims and 205/60 tyres (Yokohamas). But when I swapped these same tyres onto 15x7 inch rims, the handling was transformed - miles better.

A 185/70 would be fine for you, because it's the same rolling diamater as one of the OE tyre choices for the 164, the 165/80x15.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote