Thread: Annoying knock.
View Single Post
Old Nov 7th, 2004, 10:01   #3
90owner2004

I have an annoying knock with my XC90 - since june when the car was delivered! It's coming from the rear. It's like a knocking/clanging sound. It's been back to the dealers 4 times and they don't know what it is. The problem is sometimes it just doesn't do it at all! When it happens (which is about 75% of the time), it does it over speed bumps, over very slight undulations in the road, when I turn left and on acceleration. HOWEVER, YESTERDAY I SPOKE TO SOMEONE ELSE ABOUT THIS AND I MAY POSSIBLY HAVE THE ANSWER AS TO WHAT IS CAUSING THIS. Apparently, there was recently an article in Auto Express detailing that some customers had been complaining of what seems like the same noise and circumstances and the problem has been put down to FAULTY WELDING(?) ON THE EXHAUST SHEILD THAT RUNS OVER/BY THE FUEL TANK - the reason why it sometimes does it and sometimes not is due to temperatures and the expansion of the metals. It seems that Volvo know about this but didn't think it warrants a recall - for those of us who have stressed about this over the months, I would strongly disagree! My car is back at the dealers tomorrow for investigation and I will be relaying my findings to them. I don't know whether this is the same noise as you are experiencing but in my case I am so glad that we might have solved it at last.