Thread: General: - DEM Repairs
View Single Post
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 23:42   #14
tomara

Hello All again,

I took the car (XC 90 D5 SE 2004) to another Volvo dealer to order the sensor and got talking to the guy in parts and a mechanic. The parts guy said 'are you sure its not the angle gear, we have done 3 already this week !'. Anyway the mechanic convinced me to take it in to check for sure it was not the angle gear. They checked it yesterday and the angle gear is OK, and the only fault is the dem 000b code. This time however they said do the pressure sensor first before the dem, then do the dem if its not the sensor. The other dealer was going for the dem first and as we know its far more expensive and a bizarre way to proceed given the error code.
The were however going to charge me for the diagnosis but I pushed back and avoided it.

I've ordered the sensor now from them and its 114 euro (about right) but in total they are quoting me close to 400 euro for parts and labour if they fit the part. Thus I think they are trying to recoup money for the analysis. The page from the manual posted a few replies back mentions .5 hr labour and the haldex fluid. I said this to them and they said they had to 'align' the sensor, use the VIDA, and clear the DTC code. My questions to you are :

-how much would 1ltr of haldex cost ?. They say 1 ltr will do.

-to make this change is there anly alignment activity or is that bullshi* ?

-what is the VIDA, the diagnostic machine ?. Is it relevant as part of this change ?

-how are the DTC codes cleared.

I am tempted to have my local mechanic do the change at probably half the cost if he needs no special kit.

Thanks,

Terry.
tomara is offline   Reply With Quote