View Single Post
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 19:49   #6
monman

Just an update, sorry no pics. My day off today so I got stuck in and rebuilt the top end, I was worried before starting as the engineers had said "they took a lot off the head" turned out they had taken 0.75mm off and as the head had never been skimmed before they deemed it servicable, they also supplied me with an oversize head gasket as the one with the kit I had bought was standard replacement.

So after a 3 1/2 hour rebuild I found I had the distributor 180 degrees out, sorted this turned the key and lo and behold car started 2nd time the problem was new water pump was screaming. off with the water pump and down to my local parts shop for another one.

Refitted pump checked all timing again, just adjusted up the distributor, started car and checked for leaks then went out for a test drive, car drove as well as ever, it even as far as I could tell felt a little quicker and smoother.

All's well so far just going to change the oil after running some engine flush through and drop the water and refill with the correct antifreeze mixture, well when I say all's well it is except for my crankshaft pulley which seems to have a slight wobble, I tightened it up to the torque settings and ensured it went on square, so my thought is that it probably wobbled before I just never noticed,just keep my eye on that for now.

Also doing a couple of mods, changed the rear outer lights for some clear units I got with the car, replacing the non working volvo radio/cassette with a bluetooth head unit I've had for a while and fitting some very retro looking reversing sensors (for my wifes benefit honest).

So hopefully now thats all sorted we can put some more miles on her now.
monman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monman For This Useful Post: