View Single Post
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 09:18   #3
D5Gill

I tried to get back into the post to make some amendments and correct some typos but couldnt.

To answer your question, Volvo pn for the kit: V30787988 £80.50 +vat
I wouldnt suggest you use it to order the spline for your car. This part number was specific to my car (2005 D5 163bhp Geartronic). The PN might be different for your car. You sould really go in armed with the VIN or Reg.

I saw the posts with images that you refer to with the drilled holes. If you have a good drill and can hold it steady to go through hardened steel, then go for it. This seemed too much hassle for me as the sleeve was stuck in the transmission. I initially cut a shallow notch with an angle grinder and walked it off with a pry about an inch. (see image) This got harder and harder, so I gave up and cut right through the first notch and hooked on my slide hammer. I wish I had done this first. By far the easiest and quickest option.
No heat or WD40 was used to remove the spline. I'll be damned if you can get a puller onto the transmission without removing it.

I would add to my original post that I replaced the bevel gear fluid. It drained 700ml and there is a clear notch marked on the unit as a maximum. The replacement bolts in the kit are 13mm headed as opposed to the 14mm one removed.

I can also report that all my wheelspin has disappeared. I have tested the car up in the air and all four wheels rotate when in drive.
Reassembly took just 2 hours in total because I knew what I was doing. The disassembly took longer because I was working off the cuff and without instruction
I am happy to answer your questions as you tackle this job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmpphpMypOTX.jpg (155.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg tmpphpYjf9Sv.jpg (148.5 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by D5Gill; Oct 30th, 2010 at 09:27.
D5Gill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D5Gill For This Useful Post: