Thread: General: - XC90 Rear LED Light Clusters
View Single Post
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 10:26   #5
adonis kebab

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeman View Post
Hi All,

Inspired by the new breed of Volvo - especially the XC60 - I couldn't get the idea of banks of LED lights in the rear light clusters of the XC90.

I'm sure I saw something on the XC90 forum not too long ago, and taking a look at my own car realised that the red lenses above the main side lights/indicators/reversing lights/brake light clusters are in fact just that, red lenses. There is nothing in there.

This got me thinking, I could adapt these to have a bank of LEDs in. So I got hold of some LEDs (www.rapidonline.com are a great source of electrical components), and have wired them up.

In each side there are 10 No. 8mm dia superbright red LEDs with clear lenses. These are wired up as two banks of 5 LEDs in parallel, to get the correct voltage across each LED. These are then just simply connected to the leads supplying the rear sidelights (black and white cables) with a couple of Scotchlok cable connectors.

The LEDs now come on with the sidelights. In this configuration they are only drawing approx 0.5 amps each side, so should be okay with the cars wiring.

If I'm honest I rushed this project somewhat (lots of report writing to complete for Uni before starting back next Monday!), and the LEDs are not spaced as well as they could be. Of course I know this because I built it, and am rather critical of my own handiwork at the best of times. But at night it's not that obvious unless you look very hard.

So Mk2 is in the pipeline. This time it will be 18 No. 3mm superbright LEDs wired up in 3 banks of 6 LEDs in parallel each side (again should only be approx 0.5 amps each side). But this time I am going to take some time and mount the LEDs properly to some 5mm acrylic and using some self adhesive PCB track so I can solder the LEDs in properly. This should ensure that the LEDs are all accurately spaced. Also, because they are smaller they won't look as obvious as the current 8mm ones.

Cost of components for the Mk2 version should be somewhere in the order of around £24 including all connectors, PCB track, LEDs, acrylic, fly-leads etc.

The pics were taken this morning before it got too sunny. Even in bright sunlight you can see there are LEDs there when you are behind the vehicle. At night or in bad weather conditions they will look awesome!

Chris
’05 XC90 D5 S 71k
Previously
’56 V50 D5 Sport 31k
1996 855 T5 GLT 144k
1988 240 GLT Estate 2.3ltr 169k
1996 854 T5 S 134k
1995 440 SE 2.0ltr 135k
1995 440 Si 1.8ltr 70k
1985 340 GL 1.4ltr 144k
The Yellow Peril in Oz - 1982 244 GL 2.3ltr 250k

Opinionated? You better believe it!
Looks great, so much so I bought lights, connectors and everything else took the lights off then the top part......................................... How do you separate the lens and main body, it looks like it's heat sealed and not wanting to force anything thought i ask first. Hoping for a reply Richard
adonis kebab is offline   Reply With Quote