View Single Post
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 17:14   #31
Simon J
Premier Member

Default RE: Standard spec brakes v big brake kit

Adam,

Can you give any 'guesstimate' as to the impact of using DS2500 pads on the life of the 280mm discs. The improved stopping power as a result of the more abrasive pads must come at a cost - no free lunches, etc., etc. I realise that this will depend on the way the car is driven (or more properly the way it is stopped!) but some sort of comparison would be interesting.

For example, I got about 45/50K miles from the standard 302mm discs using standard pads on my previous T5 (the Black Diamond and Redstuff were fitted at around 100K just before I sold it so I have no idea how long they lasted), and around 30K on the 320mm ones on my current T5 using the Volvo pads. Simon (sholtby) on the basis of his figures above (80% worn at 13K) seems to be heading for, say, 16/17K on his AP discs (assuming he stays within the manufacturer's tolerances) with DS2500.

So from your experience, what do you think would be the impact on disc life of using DS2500 in place of standard pads? Any idea?

Simon J

P.S. Would you ever chase Hamish up about the availability of DS2500 for my Volvo setup? As they aren't listed by Ferodo under 'Volvo' I sent him a drawing of the outline of the pads ages ago to help identify them. Ta.
Simon J is offline   Reply With Quote