Thread: Engine: TDI: - Hard to start
View Single Post
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 23:47   #23
ian ferguson
ian ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI_Volvo_Nut View Post
Thanks for that Ian, what symptoms did you experience when your timing was 'out'?
The way this thing is running I was thinking there was pump issues before I had started working at it, so this has just confirmed my thoughts. It churns for a good while before firing, but when it does fire, it fires smooth and now without smoke.
Hi, My symptoms were, It would turn over a few times before starting, juggling with the throttle and clutch so as not to cut out when starting to move, turbo not kicking in until 2800 revs and slight smoke now and again. It all started when I was doing a three point turn in a hurry, I put it into third instead of first and the engine conked out, it was really difficult to start and when it did there was smoke everywhere I managed to drive it home it was so bad the engine was knocking as well, I thought that was it, end of the road, scrap yard. After quite a few posts on here and and a lot of looking under the bonnet I noticed some teeth missing from the pump belt, still wasn't convinced there wasn't more damage,but since it's been timed it's runs really well. for what it's worth from my experience I think it would be worth getting it timed rather spending a lot on a new pump. Ian
ian ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ian ferguson For This Useful Post: