View Single Post
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 23:50   #25
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
Good God! There is a Raleigh Chopper club..... Amazing! Anyway, I was ready to contact and say I couldnt make next week as we had too much on at home over the Haloween weekend. Dissapointed as I really wanted to go and I am sure the Amazon will make it. I will talk to the "boss" tomorrow and see if we have anything on for these other dates. Will post back then sometime tomorrow. Hope it works out guys, or is it possible we are just trying to pull people from too far away...?
Hugh.
It's a good point about bringing people a long way. It's far for most, and realistically, long - term, I don't think that much over 1 hour of driving is reasonable.

I was going to save this for the meet itself so as not to confuse matters, but here's my thinking fwiw.

I've been watching the U.K. meets for a long time now. Okay, sometimes meetings get a dire turnout, but more often than not they don't. I believe the key to success is indeed regional meets.

Here we are trying to have just one meeting for North and South. With 2 + hours of driving, it's very easy to get put off. I should know, I've been a culprit in the past!

It seems to me that U.K. meets are more successful because there is a CORE GROUP of people in a given area who will turn up anyway, so the possibility of just one man and his dog showing up is eliminated.

My best suggestion is this:

Northern meet

Dublin meet

Southern meet.

One a year of each, and anyone who wants to go to the others inbetween can do so, so potentially there's 3 meets a year for anyone who is interested in doing the extra travel - it's entirely optional - but there will at least be one meet per year nearby.

By developing 3 regional groups I think we will do better. If we take the responders to this thread and put 'em together divided by 3, we certainly have enough people for 3 regional committees from the thread alone.

Darren and Brendan have done some very good work in the past and my plan was to continue what he was doing to formalize the structure. That, however, means getting everyone together in one place to discuss it. I'd be willing to postpone the meet to that end if needs be.

Regards,

Tony.

Last edited by ahal; Oct 25th, 2009 at 23:54.
ahal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ahal For This Useful Post: