View Single Post
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:06   #14
catch22
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
There is some useful information about diesel particulate filters from the AA

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...e-filters.html

Basically, they say don't buy a diesel with a particulate filter if you're doing mostly town driving. Not exactly progress is it?

Martin
Now they tell me

My first diesel purchase was a Rover 218 TD circa 1995 [no DPF's in them days] One of my regular customers was a diesel mechanic [we owned a country pub back then] I told him to give me the nod when a good low mileage turbo diesel came in. Sure enough, 27k on the clock "mint" condition, went to see it on a Sunday after the dinner time session. garage owner was on his boat off the Welsh coast [we are in North Yorks] A bit of haggling on the price [no PX involved] and it was mine.

Of course, it was a big mistake, as bought it without discussing it with the wife. Oh dear, it was red, and worse than that, below the rubbing strip on the doors it was grey. For months after all I got was, I don't like the colour, and every time we passed one coming the other way the wife would say.... an old persons driving it [usually the petrol model] Eventually even I was profiling the drivers of passing 200 series Rover.

Women have this capacity to grind you down, and sure enough in the end I sold it for a quite life, and bought a Mondeo.