View Single Post
Old Sep 15th, 2009, 06:41   #12
Ron 98

My XC60 is the D5 AWD with 6-speed manual gearbox, and it's rock-solid at all speeds.

Although I think that a Lexus-style touchscreen is definitely the best way to control a satnav, I have got used to the Volvo's interface now (but there again, I thought that the BMW i-Drive system was OK to use whereas Jeremy Clarkson calls it the i-Distract-and-Crash, so perhaps I'm just gifted ). In my opinion, the Volvo DVD satnav really disappoints in three other areas: (1) the intrusiveness of the voice reminders - these are usually at 400 and 200 yards so you are effectively subjected to continuous commentary approaching every junction; (2) the ineffectiveness of the live traffic update service, which has tried to take me through road blockages which have been in place for months (e.g., Edinburgh Tram works); and finally (3) the currency and accuracy of the maps, which miss out significant bits of not very new road (e.g., the A68 Dalkeith bypass, opened in September 2008).

The chrome mannequin is the tubby little schematic of a person on the centre stack which controls air distribution -

The chronograph instruments are the "wrist watch"-style set up unique to the SE Lux. They have a kind of gunmetal outer bezel and an LCD centre containing the fuel gauge, warning messages, and what-not. They're OK but given the choice I'd prefer a regular analogue arrangement with gauges for coolant temperature, oil pressure, and an ammeter. I'm also a little bit sceptical about the legibility of the chronograph dials after dark. Anyway, here's a picture showing the metallic bezels -

There's a better selection of dashboard shots at http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=73235&page=2

Last edited by Ron 98; Sep 15th, 2009 at 06:51.
Ron 98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron 98 For This Useful Post: