View Single Post
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 09:26   #21
eddie.grice

Default Response To Roy Macdonald Bevel Gear

This is my 2nd XC90, my first being a first month release 2003 model., It had EXACTLY the same slow pullaway algorithm built deliberately into the ECU by the manufacturer. This only shows on full power pull away and insn't a hesitation just a slower controlled realease of the power. As I said, the chief XC 90 designer mentions the slow release ECU, and the reasons why it was required. Why would I make it up????? I went to the pre realease private viewings and read a lot about the car before it was released

Having had 2 Audi Quattros, I do have a little knowledge of AWD and permanent four wheel drive characteristics. I also had a 2.5D multitronic Audi A4 which also has a slow release torque algorithm built into the ECU, and for exactly the same reasons previously mentioned. TO SAVE THE TRANSMISSION.

You should check the other forums as I mentioned, you will be surprised.
I have no axe to grind with Volvo in general, I have had 3 new Volvos 2 x XC90s and 1 x V70. All until now, have been fine. I still love the car.
But the spline sleeve in the Bevel Gear transfer box is a very poor design. If your main bearings failed at 50K you and everyone would be upping arms. Why is this different?
Engineering will ALWAYS fail at the weakest point. Putting a spline sleeve between two gear boxes, transfering this amount of torque is definately the weakest point.
Just look at the line diagrams and pictures from the US forums.
eddie.grice is offline   Reply With Quote