View Single Post
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 19:34   #1
kilou

Default What engine oil would you recommend?

Hi,

my 1997 S40 2.0 (atmospheric engine, B4204S) has now 315'000km and I'm looking at a good yet affordable engine oil for it. I've been running 5w40 in the past but it was burning a little bit oil. At the last oil change, I used a cheap 10W40 at Carrefour in France (I think it is manufactured by Elf but sold under Carrefour name). It's a very cheap oil, like 3euros/l......but the car seems happy and doesn't burn any oil anymore. However of course at 3euros/l I wonder about the quality (I did 10000km on that oil and recently change it again with the same oil).

So basically it seems the car is happy with a 10w40 but...

- I've heard 10w40 is the "worst" grade as it breaks down rapidly: most if not all 10w40 are not fully synthetic ie they have to use a lot of additive to achieve that rating and those additives wear out quickly. Fully synthetic oils appeards better but are found only in 5w40 or lower....oil burning in my engine.

- Castrol Magnatec 10w40 hve bad reviews about sludge buildup...

Considering the age of my engine, what oil would you recommend? I'm looking for an all year round oil with good antiwear properties that will make the volvo engine live for another 200'000km hopefully

Actually does Volvo recommend 10W40 for the B4204S engine?

Thanks
kilou is offline   Reply With Quote