Thread: Magic bullet??
View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 19:12   #10
flint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard333 View Post
my 2003 v70 d5 front bushes went at about 110k miles , just had them replaced at 126k miles as it failed mot , used cheap QH aftermarket units , cant see much difference but seems a bit quieter from the front on rough surfaces , the old bushes were definitely knackered , have kept the complete old wishbones so I can have a go at fitting powerflex bushes , my top engine mount bush has also been knackered for a long time and will replace that soon . The oil question is interesting , I suppose the dryness of the main bearings depends if the car has been sitting for days or months between starts , I would think that on a daily start up then there will be at least a film of oil still on the bearings ? I have a spare sump and am working on fitting an engine pre heater , having looked at various american designs which are pads to stick to the engine from the outside , I dont like these as I want to use less electricity so am going to fit an electric immersion heater inside the sump and a timer so that the oil and crankshaft get warmed up before I start the engine , unfortunately there isnt much spare space inside the D5 sump to do this kind of thing ( lots of brass pipes/ steel plates and die cast webbing in the way ) but I am sure it can be done .
Just got my car back from the garage and its now all well again. Fitted the Powerflex top bush myself yesterday before the wishbone bushes were done and it was horrible. Tons of vibration. Ended up getting original part from Volvo and getting the garage to fit that when they did the wishbone bushes.
Spoke to the mechanic and he said the Powerflex bush was probably fine. He said the vibration was coming from one of the side washers shorting through the centre bolt and out to the brace?? Anyway, Powerflex bush and aluminium bush housing now going on ebay! 20 quid for a straight bolt on item. Bargain.
Must say the new wishbone bushes make the car feel a bit 'tighter', the new droplinks must also help that a bit. Anyone done the rear bushing? Whats likely to go next I wonder? Also just bought a PPC diagnostic system from Nordic in middlesex. Should be here tommorrow. This cost £66, for some reason it sells for 147 Euro on the BSR website????
Anyway the garage did the wishbone bushes, oil change(edge 0w30 D), air, fuel, oil filter, droplinks and top bush for 220 with me supplying stuff. Not bad. Volvo charge 175 for an oil change!! Cars running best its done while I've had it so quite pleased.
Got a 1000 mile seven days ahead of me starting at 0500 tomorrow. Feel much happier now things are fettled.
The sump heater sounds like a good addition. Do you use thicker oil from the
0w30? I take it you would plug this in at the mains in the garage? I've seen them on cars in Norway and Canada. They had the external connector on the grill which looked a bit ropey. I'm sure it could be mounted somewhere else.
flint is offline   Reply With Quote