View Single Post
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 08:25   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoege View Post
I'm thinking of buying a V50 with the ford/peugeot 2.0D engine. Is this a good engine to start with?

I have searched to find when the timing belt should be done. Some volvo service books say 72K and 96K but Vadus says 144K. On the ford forums they recommend changing at 160K km. Anyone actually know the answer?

I don't want the euro 4 because of the PDF and i do alot of short journeys. What other engine type is there and what year models do they come in?

Finally, what faults and failures are common with the V50. I have also heard turbo's are prone to failure on these engine's. Any truth to this?

Best Regards,

George.
It is not my favourite engine , because it is a fairly coarse engine ( compared with D5 and 1.6 D ) and not THAT economical , although when you first drive the car it feels very powerful , you get a huge burst of torque but it doesnt last long once out on the open "A" roads it "only" has 138 bhp and a very narrow power band from 2000 - 4000 rpm so overtaking say 2 cars at once as you could easily do in a D5 is not possible .
There have been turbo problems on some early cars and clutch problems , and EGR issues and wires breaking off various senders due to FORDs very thin wires and diesel engine vibration causing wire fatigue . These engines are VERY sensitive to water ingress causing wrecked engines never go anywhere near a flood with them ..

The 1.6 D has a larger spread of smoother power , you can actualy use full throttle to pull out of a roundabout without loosing traction and ripping tyres , a much sweeter engine and handles nicely due to not having a mass of cast iron over the front wheels . ( 1.6 D is all alloy )

Just my opinion , but the D5 for power or 1.6 D for economy would be for me ..

Cam belts on the 2.0 D are 10 years or 140000 / 150000 miles

the 1.8 and 2.0 petrol engines are just SO Smooth and quiet after the 2.0 D it might be worth considering one the fuel costs might not be THAT much greater for the big rise in refinement

Last edited by Clan; Nov 8th, 2008 at 08:27.
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote