View Single Post
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 17:52   #17
Laney760
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Hope you stick with it as said before you are welcome to a loan of the timing stuff, cam tool and LARGE torque wrench if you are minded to get your hands dirty.
As it sounds likely that several bits may be needed for the car keep a lookout for a spare engine, which if you are lucky will have pump plus pipes etc. Last one I saw was from a seller by the name of "dogydave" but he does not appear to have any items on sale at the moment so it may have gone.
BTW if the gasket has gone compression readings will be out won't they?
A replacement injector will be approx £30 on a replacement basis.

jor

I'm now one hundred percent sure that my head gasket is not right because I am clearly heavily using coolant on motorway driving and the constant white exhaust emissions then are no doubt steam, my coolant going. Still no overheating though but I only do short motorway runs. I guess my next move is to get her looked at to confirm the head gasket problem and see if it is that causing the low compression or if that is also caused by worn ring gear? I am wondering if I have both problems if it is going to cost as much to do both as to have a complete rebuild, which will take me some time to save up for. (Someone on here mentioned the possibility of a rebore on one of these engines). I'm assuming a proper complete rebuild should not include a rebore but replacement of original worn parts?? Will check with the company concerned. The car is still going well and strong, I just have to be meticulous in checking my coolant. I've had to rule out a very long motorway run due in October, I don't fancy stopping every 100 miles or so and topping up coolant nor risking wrecking what is still a very usable engine. I am going to get the RAC recommended garage to diagnose my engine problems before they fit the cam belt the week after next, (perhaps as someone said I am wasting money having the cam belt done on this engine but I will have to continue running this engine whilst I save up for rebuild or replacement and would be gutted if the cam belt went in the meantime)

Will let you know the result of an engine diagnosis. I will also get them to quote me for putting in another engine as well as works required. If I am lucky enough to simply need a new head gasket and the head itself is ok, or if I decide to have the head gasket done and not any other work such as ring gear that requires doing, does anyone know how many hours labour this should take? Many thanks
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote