Thread: 240 General: - Running with Lambda light on.
View Single Post
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 17:25   #2
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

I hope you do get it - I looked at it myself, but I just haven't got room.

I think (but may be wrong, as the lambda business is relatively new to me) it sounds as if the engine is running rich, which will take out the AMM and the cat.

So you will probably need an AMM and a lambda sensor, but otherwise there shouldn't be too much to worry about. You don't have to have a catalyser for the MOT necessarily, as it's a 1991 car. If you dispense with the cat you will have to either substitute a section of exhaust (these are available) or clear it out. It may be the cat has nothing in it, as otherwise it might have become blocked by now.

As soon as it's running properly any carbon build up will clear on your first motorway trip, overfuelling is less likely to be damaging to the engine than lean running in the long term, other than the items mentioned.

You'll probably have to do all the normal things, like cambelt, plugs, hoses, filters etc, as it sounds like it's had a 'zero maintenance' regime - just shows how much neglect a 240 will stand.

Strangely there is another just like it on ebay at the moment, also missing a door trim and with a broken bonnet hinge.

Last edited by Glen Morangie; Mar 3rd, 2008 at 17:35.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote