View Single Post
Old Feb 29th, 2008, 09:54   #22
pcmaczone

Ok well, the squeak from the steering wheel is due to bad design. I have never come across a car in my 30 years of driving where the steering wheel develops a squeak because some lubricant on a metal rim inside the thing has dried out.

The suspension is the worst I have ever come across on any car. I live out in the countryside and we have a lot of badly maintained roads out here. In the Volvo you feel every little bump and ridge in the road and if you are unfortunate enough to hit a pot hole it sends a jarring shudder through the car. Maybe the shocks need changing but I have been told by two garages now that they are fine.

Will check the pollen filter in case that is the cause of the de-mist problem. Also the thermostat for the heater.

Totally agree about visibility problem. You really have to be careful at junctions because the thick front windscreen pillars...but then many cars have the same problem.

The radio cut out thing. It's not the power that cuts, just the radio seems to lose the signal momentarily. I have heard others had the same problem and it was a design fault in the radio.

Oh yeah, forgot about the creaking sounds from the dash!

Of course this is not a new car and I expect things to need sorting from time to time but I have owned much older cars which never needed anything doing to them. I just think the S40 was not built as well as it should have been. I had a 240 a long time ago and it was built like a tank. Nothing creaked, nothing broke, it was comfortable to drive for hundreds of miles at a time. What on earth happened to Volvo ?
pcmaczone is offline   Reply With Quote