Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old May 21st, 2024, 08:12   #6471
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I really do struggle to see the fascination with 30 year old motor cars. They aren’t close to being tax exempt and have poor fuel consumption, so they are expensive to run; at the same time they don’t have any of the advantages of more modern motor cars. A similar sized 10 year old car (for example my Skoda Superb estate) will cost about the same as this one’s asking price, only be £20/year to tax, return 50MPG and be far more reliable. Depreciation on a 10 year old motor car has largely already happened, so that will be much the same as the 30 year old one - until it starts getting close to qualifying as an historic vehicle. Once a vehicle gets to 40 years old it becomes tax and ULEZ exempt and the cost of ownership equation changes completely.

Just the thoughts of a grumpy man with a beard and a dog called Bob.

I’ve started to view my retirement income and savings as this. I have as much as I shall ever need , I don’t crave for anything, by the same token, running a nice car that I like is only going to reduce how much I leave in my will. Not an amount I am to concerned about , quite frankly!🥹

I am very cheap to run so a little extravagance here and there is nice.

Last edited by Moomoo; May 21st, 2024 at 08:21.
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: