View Single Post
Old May 6th, 2024, 19:29   #7
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

I have been experimenting with refurbishing white Fuel Pump Relays and so far it's working.... though I keep a few spares in the car. There's not much to them, only 2 solenoid relays, one has a diode, the other doesn't (apparently the green ones have much more circuitry).

Of course a brand-new pattern-part Fuel Pump Relay is probably no doubt a safe bet to get up-and-running, but refurbing the white relays is definitely worthwhile...

Re-solder all the joints - even if the the multimeter is showing continuity. Remove old solder and give it plenty of new solder. And optionally put a coat of clear lacquer or PCB coating on the bottom to protect the solder joints from corrosion after.

Check the resistance across both solenoid coils. They should be around 90 ohms ish give or take. If either coil is an open circuit, after re-soldering the joints onto the board, then that coil may be broken and is probably un-repairable.

Giving the relay contacts a squirt with contact cleaner could help. And perhaps use a very fine abrasive on the contacts if they are pitted or burnt.

The genuine ones - which - far-as-I-know - are usually German-made Stribel brand - apparently aren't available new any more, and most of the new ones for sale are cheaper pattern parts. Like a lot of original Volvo parts vs currently available supplies - the Stibel relays look like much better quality inside, but genuine or not, they are all worth refurbing if they've stopped working.

Either way - having a spare fuel pump relay is a no-brainer.
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post: