Thread: V50 General : - What do I need to replicate a Focus ST?
View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2024, 16:34   #10
NotJustVolvos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
A few things I remember from when I had my mkll Focus ST. It had revised timing especially at idle which gave it a unique sound. A huge rear silencer with the tailpipes exiting from either side, and a 'symposer' which channeled sound into the cabin. Apart from these the Ford SVE boys tinkered with a whole host of things to get the engine how they wanted it. Apparently, when Volvo engineers visited the Saarlouis plant they didn't want to hand the cars back after testing them.
Attachment 154376
Interesting, is the 'revised timing' physically changed or ECU controlled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
This is easy, pretty much the same car minus things like the ECU and handling mods. You want the sound, get a 3" + exhaust system. Want more pops and bangs, get a map done for it. You cannot achieve this on the standard T5 exhaust.

an initial remap is easy for this, or a custom for your stage one's so unless you are going big turbo or have incredibly deep pockets and willing to wait a while ... then I wouldnt bother.

So yes if you are after sound, just get a new exhaust (min 3") and an intake cone.
Exactly what I wanted to hear, thank you!

I don't want 'pops and bangs', just the over-run (not sure how else to call it) that the ST has from factory. I assume this is easily done through tuning then? And a decent aftermarket exhaust is one of the first mods I would get. Any recommendations for branded exhaust or design of a custom exhaust, e.g. what mufflers/resonators etc. to use? I'm looking to get that vocal 5 cylinder decel. sound.

Also would appreciate any recommendations for a 200 cel sports cat, as I'm planning on keeping her road legal.

Thanks
NotJustVolvos is offline   Reply With Quote