View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2024, 21:46   #89
Kev0607
Premier Member

Thanks Petey, I'll try Ebay etc. Mine are 17mm, so smaller than yours. They look awesome though... I think the black would go well with my alloys.

In other news, as ashamed as I am to admit it, I've started washing my own car. There's no beating around the bush, I've took it to "hand" car washes for a long time, but I'm sick of them missing parts that should be cleaned and they stand out like a sore thumb when the rest of the car is clean. Another thing I noticed was whilst another car was being washed, the guy doing it cleaned the wheels and then he used the same sponge to clean the body... Safe to say, I didn't stay in the queue... I don't normally go there anyway. I've never used one of those auto brush washes that are in some petrol stations... the ones you drive the car into and big brushes go over the roof and down the sides. I heard they can ruin a car, but surprisingly, the one near me is always busy!

I haven't got the products you've got, but I have some basics. Here's my procedure;

-Spray the body and wheels with elbow grease (says it can be used on vehicles and it does a good job of removing dirt/grime). Let that settle in for a couple of minutes.

-Clean the wheels with a wheel brush I got from Halfords. Rinse off wheels.

-Rinse car with my Karcher power washer. Its only a small one, its a patio cleaner (Cold water only, its not a pressure washer). I have a pressure washer that can heat the water itself by heating element, but its a big awkward thing to move around.

-Starting at the roof, wash with a sponge and soapy warm water and work my way around the car. The sponge is used on the body only. Discard that dirty water and renew with fresh.

-Rinse car off again

-Spray some more elbow grease on, let it settle in

-Clean wheels again with the wheel brush. Rinse off

-Go around the car again with the clean water/sponge/suds

-Rinse off

-Add some tyre shine

Safe to say it comes out sparkling clean, but I have nothing to dry it. I assume drying helps? I didn't get any water marks surprisingly after that last wash. Its still clean now and that was last weekend. Normally its filthy in a week from dust in the air that seems to cover it.

I know you do a far more superior wash than that, but is there anything that I'm doing wrong? I don't want to be damaging the paint either! I know it may seem like its just washing a car, how hard can it be kind of thing. All the same, I know there's a method to it that clearly the "hand" car washes don't do, hence why they "wash" (and scratch) so many cars per day.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 1st, 2024 at 22:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote