View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 15:50   #15
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I realise this has been done to death but can I just double check something I think I read somewhere but might have remembered incorrectly

I've done 3 dump 'n fills within the last 10-12k or so (couple of years ago) and it's been running better but still the occasional flare into 3rd, so I'm going to do another 10 ltrs but using the gibbons method (got some tubing and a spare green clip ready)

the question: is it still worth doing the 1st change as a dump 'n fill to give the pump something clean to work with, or does that mean when I start the gibbons method I'll literally just pump out the clean stuff straight from the sump and waste good fluid

what I'm trying to achieve (what I thought I read somewhere..) was the dump and fill means that clean stuff is pumping around the system (and through torque converter) while the old dirty stuff is coming out of the tube, then you top up with new stuff, rinse and repeat as they say

I will have the car jacked up to start with anyway as I'm doing an oil change as well, so it's not a case of saving time or effort, it's more just wondering how the fluid moves around the box if you see what I mean

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 30th, 2024 at 15:53.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote