View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 11:55   #1283
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekilt View Post
With public charging, its not as difficult as many make out. Take Octopus Energy for example. They have a ""Electroverse" app and you can order an RFID card to keep in your car too for the times you dont have signal. They work with many different suppliers to amalgamate into one simple app. Not all are on there (pod point for example) but if you are aware how they all work it isnt that much of an issue.
Well that's quite interesting. As an onlooker (looking at users experiences of both Tesla and "everyone else"), "everyone else" looks like a nightmare...but I appreciate that's not first-hand experience. But, then again, I witnessed a colleague struggling for about 10 minutes with a destination charger to top up his XC40 a few weeks ago, while (at least as far as I'm aware) with a Tesla you just plug it in and the car takes care of billing, etc. I do appreciate that you would potentially need to grapple with a third-party destination charger with a Tesla, too, but at least you aren't taking a deep breath about potentially having that experience every time you stop for a mid-journey splash.

I believe that the smart route planning / charger integration which has been a key Tesla benefit is now present in some cars with AAOS, which is a huge step forward, but you're still at the mercy of the network (reliability, complexity, availability, etc) and the higher kWh costs.

Of course none of that is a factor unless you're actually going to charge away from home, and many people will barely ever (or potentially never) do that.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote