View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 05:09   #3
pupley

The ABS and AntiSkid could be a couple of things and AFAIK there are essentially three different "ABS" or "AntiSkid" errors that can be displayed in different combinations, possibly with the ABS light on permanently or after short driving depending on type of fault.

Determine which of these to help narrow down (or expand) possibilities. But no substitute for a fault reader Vida (or other). IMO for the functionality you need, Vida laptop+Dice is most cost effective.

Stay away from phone apps and bluetooth dongles as they will read only engine codes, unless you want that quick convenience as part of your tool box. Ive had 2 Volvos, but only recently got a Vida after painfully procrastinating on all options (and buying a half decent dongle that didnt do what I needed no matter which free app I DL'd unless I paid as high as 50% of a Vida cost still no guarantee it would do everything i needed.

Better quality "readers" that will do everything generally start at £200ish or a little under, which would also get you a Vida Lappy+Dice that will do everything you could possibly need. Can be done cheaper iof your resourceful and can find a download of Vida and install, and buy a clone Dice. Easiest is a pre-installed second hand, working out the box which is what I got from someone selling on here. You want to get straight to fixing your problem, not rabbit holes). Had my 2nd volvo a while but only recently decided to tackle some issues repairs and faults, and went though all this so its a fresh experience, and its paid for itself instantly.

Regarding the dash warning.
1. Is it "ABS/AntiSkid Service Required" together with ABS light on? - If so possible sensor OR reluctor ring. In short it needs diagnostic read out to determine which wheel it is, then inspect toothed reluctor ring. If ring OK then probable sensor at that wheel.
2. Does the ABS light and message show after starting the engine but before moving off ie on permanently? OR...
3. Does it register and display the message on only after going above 40/50mph?
4. Do you get a message reading "AntiSkid temporarily off"? If so, does the message come on and off while turning steering wheel with engine on but vehicle stationary? - If so, could point to steering angle sensor starting to fail (or much less likely a front sensor wiring is breaking/shorting on itself).
5. Do you get a message "Brake Assist Service Required"? - If so is light on permanently or only after driving short distance or after first using brakes or after going over 40/50mph?

Tried to be concisely comprehensive, but often turns into an essay.

A faulty Pump module is likely to throw a permanently on warning message and ABS light once its detected. You likely have just a ring/sensor or SAS fault if lights comes and goes. Also the module can be removed without removing the pump, so no need to disconnect brake lines. Search youtube vids plenty showing this to give you an idea. Three torx bolts hold module to pump.
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pupley For This Useful Post: