View Single Post
Old Apr 24th, 2024, 23:24   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiChris View Post
Hi, I’ve just purchased a well loved 2015 XC60 D5 with 85k kms on it. The previous owner recommended getting the Aux belt changed as a time/mileage served item. My local Volvo dealer is as helpful as an additional hole in the head so I’ve spoken to an independent who has looked after our V40. Initially I enquired about changing the tensioner too. He’s told me that the tensioner would originally been a hydraulic one that’s been superseded by a mechanical item. My question is, Is that correct and are they a straight swap? Thanks very much for any clarity the forum members can offer.
yes a good idea , change the cam belt and tensioner and the Aux belt and tensioner... USE VOLVO PARTS ..
The cambelt tensioner was mechanical initially, up until about 2010 when they fitted a hydraulic tensioner.. then a year or so later there was a Recall conversion to put a mechanical one on again which needed special tools to drill and tap the block for the bolts. Whilst off check the alternator pulley it should drive in one direction and free wheel in the reverse direction. Volvo have been using them for a while but some quality issue with some of them after 2009 This was the main cause of the historic belt breakages .