View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2024, 23:45   #7
pupley

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
a list of related precautions may be useful at this point just in case
Disconnect battery. Turn ignition to on wait 10-20 seconds then off (discharges residual if any). Then wait 10-15 mins before touching airbag connectors. when removed place airbag safely with horn pad facing upward on rear seat or footwell or bench. On some cardboard.

Quote:
is it mainly just a case of ensuring battery is disconnected
No, see above

Quote:
once you have it out of the car and on the bench the danger is over and then it's just the potentially fiddly technical stuff which Georgeandkira is interested in
Not quite. Part referred to as "clockspring" which is actually not a spring, but a wound electrical ribbon needs to be kept in mid-position, otherwise you could rip it when turning steering wheel, with unpredictable results or at best losing horn and SW button functions.

As per initial post I will document next time I tear one down but if not proficient get someone qualified to fit the reco part and do setup with Vida. My aim is to provide a cost effective working part if someone wants it, for someone capable to fit. If the person buying is capable then so be it. If not, then give the part to someone capable to do it. I only make this clear in abundance of caution through experience. Its the interwebs.

Last edited by pupley; Apr 23rd, 2024 at 00:05.
pupley is offline   Reply With Quote