View Single Post
Old Apr 19th, 2024, 13:49   #13
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumeo View Post
Thanks again guys for further input into this decision. So it seems Nivomats are the main thing that could really make this an expensive car to run if they fail. I've been trying to find a proper answer whether they can be swapped out for standard shocks. Looks like it depends if the car has self-levelling headlights as well?
There's a conversion kit available, which means you can change your Nivomat shocks to standard shocks. You also have to change the springs too as far as I know, as Nivomat springs are softer than standard springs. If you don't, the car will squat too low at the back. So Nivomat springs can only be used with Nivomat shocks. Standard shocks need standard springs. So for you to do the conversion, you need to replace the shocks to standard and replace the springs to standard ones also.

Honest opinion, if you don't need Nivomat suspension (i.e. you don't tow often or carry heavy loads), don't buy a car with them... Easier option. Like I said in an earlier post, Nivomat's are great at what they do for the people that need it (frequent towers, frequent loads in the boot). They're very expensive when they fail though because they're only available from the main dealer at around £500 each, then you have to either fit them yourself or get a garage to do it. On an older car that isn't worth much, it doesn't always make financial sense to replace Nivomat's with Nivomat's (unless you absolutely need them). That's why those that have Nivomat often convert to standard suspension when they fail.

Ordinary rear shocks are about £80 each. There's a big difference in cost. I'd personally advise you to think carefully about having a car with Nivomat suspension if you don't actually need it. If you don't, just buy a car that has standard suspension. It'll save you the headache and the cost down the line too. Nivomat's, like any suspension component, will fail. Nothing lasts forever.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 19th, 2024 at 14:10.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote