View Single Post
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 12:55   #13
bob12
bob12

You will find some guidance under the often overlooked FAQ's Sticky above where there is a small section on Wiper Motors.

I quote from part .... "Motor Gear Repair. [Tom Kaylor] My rear wiper motor stripped the driven (big) gear. I removed it from the vehicle and noticed there are no screws holding the case cover on; while they look like rivets they are actually protrusions of the die cast housing and will break off flush. I reinstalled the cover and drilled and tapped the housing for 8-32 screws. Be sure to use the cover for a template so everything lines up. The shaft has serrations that deform the plastic gear ID to hold it in place. When it fails it enlarges the bore of the gear. This was my first experience using JB Weld so I had my doubts. Anyway I used a small 3 corner file to create several keyways or notches in the plastic gear to give the JB Weld something to flow into. Be sure to prep the shaft and gear with a non-petroleum based solvent, something that won't attack the plastic; brake cleaner worked for me. Clean the housing, check and clean the electrical contacts. The old grease was dried out so I used Lubriplate 105 white grease but not to excess. Reinstalled and ran the motor until it reached park, then re-attached all the linkage. You could or maybe should give it about 24 hrs to set up since the JB cures slowly before reattaching the linkage. At this point it has performed flawlessly for 2 weeks and saved me about $140."

Bob.
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote