View Single Post
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 10:56   #9
Richard240

Default Replacement shock problem

Reading this thread I fear I've had my shock absorbers replaced incorrectly and feeling pretty stupid about it...

Last year I had fitted two pairs of new Bilstein B4 shock absorbers from Autodoc to the front and rear because of an MOT failure. He fitted the B4s and we have had a saggy backside ever since. I carry heavy loads regularly and at night get other drivers flashing their lights at me assuming I'm on full beam!

The mechanic (not a Volvo expert) noted the old rear shocks were much chunkier, and I suspect now may have been self levelling ones. I have attached a picture of the old shock absorber. Does anyone recognise this? Might it be a Nivomat?

What are my options to fix the sag (picture attached of the saggy car yesterday loaded heavily with nine 70 litre sacks of bark chippings and my father in law in the rear seat)?
1. Stick with the weak shocks and upgrade the rear springs. If so, to what?
2. Find some Nivomats and switch the shocks back to more what they were like?
3. Get different shocks?

My priority is making sure the car drives comfortably and safely, no need for a big upgrade or changing it's ride height from standard. But I'm enduring a big downgrade at the moment.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Rear Shock.jpg (206.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Saggy 240.jpg (209.3 KB, 16 views)
Richard240 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard240 For This Useful Post: