Thread: Social Media
View Single Post
Old Apr 11th, 2024, 18:36   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Perhaps time for a reality check ? I am minded that the basic function of a vehicle is to reliably transport people and "things" from A to B safely and with a level of protection from the elements ?

To my mind the above motives have been overshadowed by those of, for example, status, image, competition and an out of control blind adoption of consumerism. All at the cost of the fundamentals outlined above and ironically the very environment which sustains us all.

Yes there will be the environmental arguments in support of all the technology, but I seriously question the "nett carbon footprint" of it all, and don't get me started on the "cost of living crisis", enough people seem to be able to find the money to support the new car industry "junk" products.

Finally, why do some people go to work, probably doing something they detest on a daily basis, with likely associated depression and stress, just to spend a large chunk of their earnings on a rarely used, depreciating, over technical, unreliable lump of modern bling, just so it looks good on the driveway ?

Sorry, bit of a rant there ! Each to their own !

Edit; I have resisted an urge to expand on the original mention of social media. I am sure that will be to the great relief of all.
My XC90 has been exceedingly comfortable and generally lovely and has been worth every penny to be a fantastic place to sit for the last 8 years, 2 hours a day over 175000 miles. Very little of the electronics has gone wrong, in fact the biggest bill was for the old fashioned engine.....
- MY17 V60 T4 Power Blue.
Previously:- 1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote