Thread: G/box: AWD: - Gearbox advice
View Single Post
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 12:24   #3
colenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Greenleaf View Post
Hello,
I have a 64 plate XC70 D5 geartronic automatic which has 94k on the clock.
I have been noticing a problem with the gearbox. It doesn't happen all the time and is difficult to describe but when the box downshifts there is a sort of shudder.
I have zero mechanical knowledge but wonder if the box is worn to the point where complete failure is imminent. In all other respects the car is in good condition and has been annually serviced. I wonder if a gearbox repair might be worth considering as I am very happy with the car and want to keep it if possible.
Your views/advice would be mos welcomed.
I had a similar shudder problem on my '09 XC70, I was at the time concerned that I'd need a replacement gearbox or at the least a torque converter. Being new to Volvo I wasn't at all sure as to whether the shudder was a big issue or not. Anyhow as has been said there is a lot of guidance from the peeps in this forum.
I flushed the gearbox with new ATF four times in a run, to get rid of the old stuff and after a test drive found that the shudder had practically disappeared. However there was a very occasional slight shuddery feeling even at this point, so I decided to use a small dose of LubeGard friction modifier in addition. This combination has rid any sign of shudder at minimal cost.
Look on the forum for detailed explanation of the flush process, which can be done yourself if so inclined; probably best this way and then you'll know that it's been done well and properly. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Peter
colenso is offline   Reply With Quote