Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2024, 15:38   #6191
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'd been keeping an eye on the reddy/brown RR Shadow auction (but having already decided it would not be practical for me to buy it at the moment). It has just ended and didn't attract any bids at the starting price of £6,000. One is forced to conclude that the market has spoken and the RR is worth rather less than 6 grand.

EBay next?

Alan
As a part of my ongoing research into late historic registered RR I'd been watching this auction:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355570932005

... so: it is a 1981 motorcar with 109,000 miles, the seller says it comes with a bit of service history, but it looks like it has been resting under the apple tree in the garden since 2015 (the steering and brake issues recorded at that year's MoT would probably have cost more to fix than it was worth then). Since is has turned 40 and no longer needs a MoT test or any tax. The seller says it was running and riding, and it looks quite nice in the photos.

Now, this motor car just sold for £4,100: the market has spoken and that is probably the going price for a non-collectors 40ish year old RR. That seems like nowhere near enough for a motorcar like that, but supply and demand dictate the value, and that is what it is.

In no way would it be worth restoring a motor car like this, that might cost £30,000 and afterwards it would be worth £12,000 - if one wanted a good example it would be much better to buy one that someone had already spent good money on. It might be huge fun to own for a few years, keep on the road in a minimal sort of way, enjoy driving it to the curry house on a Wednesday evening and then out for a cuppa at a nice café on Sunday mornings. If something major failed be prepared to sell it on to be parted out (and so not wasted) - probably for about 4 grand.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 30th, 2024 at 15:40.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: