View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 13:38   #21
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Medic View Post
I live in the Czech Republic and EV's are few and far between due to the extreme cold and lack of charging stations.

A few weeks ago it was -17 when I left for work and the neighbour has a Tesla S. No charge and unable to unlock it. Would not charge up at all and only showed errors. He had to call recovery.

It has now been returned under Czech consumer law.
I think EV's will be a problem in any cold climate. Battery's don't like cold and as soon as you put things on like you normally would in cold weather, i.e. the heater and heated seats, the range plummets.

I'm not sure what the option will be. They have to improve battery tech in cold climates, or as a minimum at least have more charging stations.

That being said, battery's don't work well in heat either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thong View Post
The early diesels that were fitted in Ford cars were awful. Sods to start on cold mornings, Smokey and were susceptible to cracking their heads. I had a Transit with a York in it. It was a reliable old chunk but it was a pain when cold starting, noisy and not particularly economical. Once the likes of VW and PSA got their teeth into making diesels better they became viable.
Once they started fitting EGR, DPF, Adblue etc etc for me the problems began. I had a Peugeot 206 car van. It had an old skool mechanical injection pump, none turbo diesel engine. It was very economical and reliable. It went survive to service without any issue only requiring the usual consumables. After that I had a Berlingo Hdi and it was a disaster. It lived in the dealership, it wasn’t a patch on my 206.
We had an issue with one of our 2021 Transit Connects. Adblue sensor went on it. Near two grand to supply and code it. The van kept throwing up warning lights and then one day the engine blew up. The report come back that something (haven’t got the details) and it caused the engine to burn one of the pistons and then….. Boom!! It strikes me that modern diesels have become so over complicated that even dealers struggle with em. Back to petrol for me in that case

TT
Peugeot made fantastic diesel engines back in the day, but like everyone else, they had to go with the times and add all the emissions stuff to their vehicles to be compliant with standards.

Same scenario with ourselves. We've had Citroen Relays for over 20 years (they have Peugeot engines). We never had a single issue with any one of them mechanically. Nothing out of the norm was replaced... wheel bearings, tyres, oil changes and so forth. A wiper motor went in one and a window motor, but that's wear and tear I guess.

We got a euro 6 one. It needed a cam belt and water pump doing, which is fair enough (75,000 miles on it at the time). However, the euro 5 engine had a timing chain. For some reason they changed to a belt on the euro 6. The biggest repair was a NOx sensor, which cost over £400 alone. It was an oxygen sensor with a little plug on the end and it aided DPF regeneration. It wasn't particularly hard to fit, but the amount of sensors in that vehicle was mind boggling. When it was on the ramp, you could see wires all over the place. They all had a purpose! Definitely not like a 206 anyway, that's for sure. My Brother had one many years ago, what a cracking motor that was (van derived car). Bulletproof.

That's the problem with modern cars and vans nowadays. They're packed with electrics and sensors, which will undoubtedly fail at some point in time.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 29th, 2024 at 13:42.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post: