View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 22:25   #2
Chris1Roll

Another one!

Under the manifold, above the alternator is a banjo bolt that provides the vacuum for the PCV system.
On earlier cars, this banjo bolt simply has a restricted orifice, so under boost, the crankcase will always be pressurised to some extent. Now these cars are old, and the seals a bit less than perfect, priblems will arise.
This is most likely why your intake cam seal blew out. It happened to my wife's V70XC with the B5244T3 engine, with an absolutely clear PCV system. and yours is the third other car I have heard about. Always the intake cam seal too.
Later cars have a modified banjo bolt with a non-return valve built in to prevent the crankcase being pressurised under boost. This is a direct replacement for the original (although vida says otherwise and gives a part number for a bolt with no check valve for some reason). I would highly recommend you get the new design of bolt and replace the one you have.

Part number 31325709.
I wouldn't get a second hand one though, some of the early versions in 2005ish had an issue whereby the check valve ball got ingested by the engine!
Mine came stamped 2019 on the bolt head.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote