View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 22:27   #30
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

The big question in my mind is how much scope and influence does Volvo – or any auto manufacturer, actually have available under the Google Android developer licence?

In a previous life I was involved in managing and supplying licensed SDKs (software development kits) to 3rd party developers wanting to create custom functions and features on top of our propriety operating system.

I would imagine that through the eyes of Google Android, who own the underlying base operating system code, see Volvo as a 3rd party developer. As a 3rd party developer, you do not have carte blanche rights to do whatever you like with an SDK for a number of stability and licencing reasons.

It’s quite likely that Volvo’s hands are more tied and limited now under AAOS as to what they can do on their own and are now dependant and effected by what Google Android decide to do to the underlying base operating system.

This is an interesting read on the subject: https://source.android.com/docs/automotive