View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 13:35   #5
neilgorin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gathercole View Post
TBH I find that recognition by AAOS of the speed limit signs on many motorway roadworks and incidents is so hit-and-miss (particularly overhead gantries and "Smart Mororways") I'd not trust the automated speed limiter and if you're manually adjusting the limit, then you might as well just nudge the cruse control setting down and then up - which is what I do.

I also find that the speed limiter not infrequently picks up "20 MPH Zone" markings from side roads in towns. At least once that caused a very unexpected and rapid speed reduction from 30 MPH to 20 MPH which must have been a brown trouser job for the driver behind me who wouldn't have seen any reason for it!

Therefore seldom or never do I use it.
I never use the automated speed limiter, I just set it to a flat speed. The speed sign feature I've tried on AAOS and Sensus - it's just as bad on each, both seeing local 70mph dual carriageway (part of the A1 no less) as a 60mph road for example. Thankfully easy to permanently break the link from the signs to the limiter on these cars.

The system is bad on every car I've driven - picks up side roads as main roads, has historical limits on it etc.

I'm not a fan of using cruise in busy traffic or through road works but the limiter is very useful for that. 50 average? Set it to 55 and forget, car overreads a little anyway and it stops you finding you're doing 58mph because the driver in front isn't concentrating.