View Single Post
Old Mar 21st, 2024, 15:53   #22
Kev0607
Premier Member

Not an update as much, but more of a bit of thinking time since I last posted...

I've been looking at electric cars. Now I know they have problems of their own like range and not being able to charge them easily because the charging points are broken, but for short local trips (which is what I do), maybe one of those might suit better? I can charge it at home and there's plenty of chargers around locally anyway, which is a good thing (they actually work too).

Currently, I do around 2,000-3000 miles a year. I know people will say why do you have a diesel doing that mileage, but I fell in love with the car when I seen it and I always give it motorway runs where possible and use quality fuel. Really though, I don't need a diesel... I agree.

I did a few calculations and watched a few videos, but I've always admired the Nissan Leaf (Tekna model). I know they're a funky looking thing, some may even call them ugly, but I actually like how they look. A Tekna model is really well specced with heated seats, leather interior, air con, cruise control, heated steering wheel, reversing camera to name but a few features. They also have a 5 star NCAP safety rating. Its basically better specced than the car I have now, being honest.

A Nissan Leaf costs approximately £1.70 to charge to full (if on a night time EV tariff at approx 7p per kw) - You'd do around 60-70 miles in warm weather on that, probably 40-50 in winter (24kw battery). I know that range isn't great, but to do 60-70 miles in my car around town would cost about £25/£30 in diesel.

Then there's the road tax. Mine is £365 a year, a Leaf is free this year, but it'll be £180 next year (EV's will be charged to be on the road like all other cars), but its still half the price. They aren't badly priced either, you can get a decent one for around £4,500-£5,000. That will be way newer than my car, around a 15 plate with 60k on. Also running costs are minimal... no oil changes, cam belts, EGR valves or DPF's to worry about.

I follow a channel on YouTube where a chap has owned one for over 10 years and has done over 60,000 miles in it. He's spent £220 on it in that time in maintenance, which if I recall correctly was brake pads or handbrake shoes. He was over the moon with how good a car it has been, but it suits his needs as he doesn't do mega miles.

Last edited by Kev0607; Mar 21st, 2024 at 16:19.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote