Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 16:36   #6087
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Existential Crisis View Post
Is it the big six pot in that Bentley? Not much to go wrong if it is!
Yes, straight six 4.9lt in the S1 and Silver Cloud1. It originally started as a 4.25lt in 1946 as fitted to the Bentley MKVI and Rolls Silver Wraith. It then went to 4.5lt in the Bentley R Type and Silver Wraith and Silver Dawn. The 4.9lt was introduced for the R type Continental chassis and standardised in the S type and Silver Cloud in 1956. The S2 and Silver Cloud II were the first models to have the 6.25lt V8 in 1959.

The straight six really is a silky smooth engine, but I must admit I preferred the V8 burble and increased power which made for effortless driving, although tickover was not as quiet as the six. The Rolls V8 enjoyed the second longest production run, I think coming behind the Chevvy V8.

Edit:
Fuel consumption was mentioned earlier in the thread. My MKVI, 4.25lt manual, regularly returned 16mpg seemingly regardless of traffic conditions. The Silver Cloud III, 6.25lt auto, varied immensely depending on traffic. We took it up to Scotland and toured the west coast on Honeymoon. Motorway speeds from Northampton to the Scottish border, then pootling around and Motorway back home. It averaged 15mpg. In town traffic, the gauge could be visibly seen returning to zero. Both cars had 18 gallon tanks.

Last edited by ITSv40; Mar 9th, 2024 at 16:54.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: